Hilti Advanced Layout and Detection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
toolgirl222

What's else should a total station do? Empty What's else should a total station do?

Sat May 16, 2020 12:13 pm
I'm always the type to dream big, so I'm always thinking up bigger and badder things for the total station to do. Here's some of my hairbrained ideas, please add your own.

Self-leveling prism-seriously if someone invented this I think they'd be a millionaire, and I'm pretty sure I've actually got a way this could work with a plumbbob weight and a ball & socket joint for attaching the prism.

Automatically measure openings-measuring window openings would be awesome or the dimensions of a room. Again, I think I've even come up with the how of getting this done by taking 6 measurements to triangulate the exact corners of a 3D space, but I'd still have to go into ACAD to do a lot of the work. I want the tool to walk me through taking those 6 measurements and then plot the corner, and I don't see why it couldn't.

[
Bradencn
Admin
https://hilti-high-end-tools.forumotion.com

What's else should a total station do? Empty Re: What's else should a total station do?

Mon May 18, 2020 7:46 am
Yes, this would be nice. There are tools out there that do scanning - where they scan the room and present a point cloud of all the points they hit (which are THOUSANDS). It's just a different tool with different technology, which is why the total stations aren't designed for it. Those are perfect high-end as-built tools, though. The corner measurement on the PLC 400 should be able to do the trick you are suggesting, but I myself have had mixed results regarding it. How has that worked for you, if at all?
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum